31 August 2011

Ringing activities curtailed

For those that have been following my blog from the start you may have wondered about my lack of posts recently. This was due to the fact that while out hill walking recently I slipped and broke my leg. Not to be content with breaking my leg I then went and got an infection in it which put me in hosptial for a week.

So that has put my ringing training on hold for a bit, but not one to miss a birding opportunity I was challenged by a local birder to see how many species I could see from my hosptial bed. On discharge, I closed the list with a total of 16, three short of beating the total set. The list consisted of:
Blackbird, Black-headed Gull, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Rook, Starling, Swallow, Wood Pigeon and Wren.

Finally, last Wednesday (24th) after having had a back slab (half cast) since breaking the leg due to the swelling I got the full cast fitted. An X-ray showed everything was nicely lined up and I wasn't going to need any surgery to sort things out. So now I have to wear the full cast for three weeks then I will get another X-ray to see how things are doing and hopefully an idea of how long I will need to wear the full cast for.

So for now it is hobbling around on crutches and birdwatching from the cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment