9 October 2011

The first week of October

It's been a while since my last post and I've not had the opportunity to get out and doing any ringing since then so I thought I would just add some other bird activity.

After a fairly quiet end to September in terms of garden visitors the first day of October bought a sudden influx of visitors. As well as the usual House Sparrows, Starlings, Colloard Doves, Blackbirds, Greenfinches and Pied Wagtails we also had visits from a Robin, Song Thrush, Redwing, a pair of Chaffinch and three Linnets.

Then it all went quiet on the 2nd and back to the usual visitors. Oh well it was good while it lasted.

Out the front of the house, overlooking St Mary's and Ayre Bay's there where the usual Eiders, Red Breasted Mergansers, Redshanks, Oystercatchers, Common, Black-headed and Great Black-backed Gulls and a couples of Grey Heron. Towards the end of the week Turnstones also started appearing after their summer absence.

The big news of the week was the appearance of a Bonaparte's Gull between Graemeshall and Churchill Barrier 1. I've not managed to see it yet but I keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment