13 June 2013

Wild Boar Park

I'm back down in Lancashire on my latest business trip at the moment so on Tuesday I took the opportunity to meet up with Seumus at the Wild Boar Park near Chipping in the Forest of Bowland.

There are a number of nest boxes located around the park and Seumus wanted to visit some of them to check on their progress since his last visit. We checked seven nest boxes, two were occupied by Blue Tits but the chicks weren't ready for ringing, the other five boxes were occupied by Pied Flycatchers. Two of these contained chicks that weren't ready for ringing but the other three had chicks that were. A total of 17 chicks were ringed, nine of the them by me.

On the way back to the car we spotted a young Nuthatch sat on the path being fed by one of the parents. We were able to catch it and ring it.

Also visiting the park was the local cub pack who were doing a wild flower identification exercise. We were asked by the park ranger if we could do an impromptu ringing demonstration and give a short talk on why we ringing birds.

As usual my thanks to Seumus for inviting me along to do some ringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment